Genealogical Artifact Revision

I am adding the section in italics to the first paragraph of my artist's statement: This quilt is a metaphor for the memories I made d...

I am adding the section in italics to the first paragraph of my artist's statement:

This quilt is a metaphor for the memories I made during my childhood at our cabin. It is a really special place to me. It was a simpler time in my life, and it was such a magical place to be a kid. I feel like the ties with our extended family were stronger back then than they are now. Quilts in general are comfort objects to me, but I have a personal connection to this particular quilt because of the place and people who shared it with me when I was a kid. I had a lot of experiences with the cabin quilts, and telling just one story about it wouldn't be sufficient. I touched on many of my experiences with the quilt instead. I chose to construct my narrative this way because I wanted to show how the quilt represented this era of my childhood as a whole. It wouldn't have had the same meaning if I had chosen just one experience with the quilt. I also wanted to present it in a positive way. Even though this time in my life ended against my will, I am able to look back and still be happy about what did happen.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

video

Popular Posts

Flickr Images