TMA 458 - Story For Change

Activist’s/Artist’s Statement             I wrote a chapter of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ,...













Activist’s/Artist’s Statement

            I wrote a chapter of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, but instead of focusing on Harry, I wanted to focus on Neville Longbottom. Neville is a perfect example of an introvert who is misunderstood by others, and by himself as well. Throughout the books, Neville is never really validated for having an introverted personality. Especially as a Gryffindor,  Neville is expected to have more extroverted personality traits. I always loved Neville’s character and identified with him (and Luna Lovegood, who I also featured in the chapter) because I shared more characteristics with him than I did with Harry Potter himself. In the books, Neville is often seen as not as bright as his classmates, and as kind of clumsy and forgetful. However, Harry Potter fans will know that Neville actually performs some significant actions throughout the books. For example, Neville is actually revealed to be one of two possible subjects of the Prophecy about Lord Voldemort’s defeat. Neville has admirable qualities, but perhaps they just take a different form than Harry’s. He also doesn’t enjoy being in the spotlight, but his mind is active and intelligent. He is an introvert living in an extrovert world. I focused on the event in the fourth book when Neville is actually the one who discovers that Gillyweed will help Harry complete the second task in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. This is a really significant thing Neville is able to accomplish in the books, and I wanted to showcase that a little more.
In this chapter I wrote, I wanted to show Neville in a more positive light, instead of one asking for pity. Hogwarts was a perfect setting for my story for change, especially since most of my research tended to lean toward introverts in the education system and how that can be improved. Neville has always felt out of place in Gryffindor, and doesn’t enjoy being in the common room because he feels so different from his peers. Luna Lovegood, who always seems to have a more mature logic than the rest of the students, explains to Neville that certain personalities tend to be sorted a certain way: Extroverts into Gryffindor and Slytherin, and introverts into Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. She also explains that she believes there is a need for a mix of traits within each house, so he should be glad to be in Gryffindor. Neville’s plant, the Glaxus Gromifera, is a metaphor for introverts. The plant struggles when it is overstimulated by sound and attention, and flourishes in peace and quiet. I feel that school in general is set up for extroverts to thrive, and introverts often come away from school feeling drained and discouraged. Neville finds that if he spends time in the Greenhouses, alone, he is able to function at a higher level than if he attempted to recharge in the common room. Notice in the story, though, that Neville still likes people. He enjoys his on-on-one exchange with Harry, and Ron and Hermione speak to him as their good friend. Introverts like people, they just draw their energy in solitude rather than from others. I hope that I’ll be able to somehow help reform schools (perhaps with more stories like this one) so that they will provide structure that facilitates learning for both introverts and extroverts.
In my research I learned a lot about how introverts really thrive in social media contexts, because they are able to express their “true selves” with people in a way that doesn’t drain them of their energy. In the world of Harry Potter the Internet is not really present, so I wanted to explore that point in another way. Professor Sprout comments in the chapter that Neville writes wonderful essays in her class, but without his writing she would never know anything about his personality. Very similar comments have been made to me throughout my life. In high school I wrote a blog, and lots of my peers followed it. They seemed to really love what I wrote and posted there, and they would often leave comments. I never felt the need to hang out in person with any of my peers though, because I could adequately express myself through posting on the blog, perhaps better than I could in person. Additionally, when I went on a mission I could only communicate with friends and family through email. I definitely let a lot of my personality and humor show in the emails. When I got home I had dozens of friends, ward members, and extended family say things to me like, “I LOVED reading your missionary emails. I never knew you were so funny or had such a great personality.” I tried not to take that in a negative way, since these were people who had known me for most of my life but were just barely getting to know the real me through my writing. Instead, I saw writing as an effective way for me to show my true self. I wanted to incorporate this element of introversion after my own personal experiences and after doing my research on introverts and social media.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

video

Popular Posts

Flickr Images