Medium Specificity

Artist's Statement: I chose to explore the medium of painting. I picked something very unique to painting as ...



Artist's Statement:

I chose to explore the medium of painting. I picked something very unique to painting as a medium: its origin. Art Historians have discovered that painting began in about 20,000 B.C.E.  Very few other mediums, like film or photography, have this ancient of an origin. It began with paintings on cave walls in parts of Europe. All of the images were done with black, brown, red, and orange pigments. The depictions were of animals, like buffalos and cows. These were very common, yet highly important to this hunting and gathering society. The cave paintings were simple, yet they showed what was valued at the time.

I wanted to explore the medium of painting because of this unique origin. In other words, cave painting is painting reduced to its simplest, most basic form. These paintings were done on stone. I explored the medium by creating my own “cave painting.” I painted a version of Van Gogh’s Starry Night on the stone. I wanted to paint a more current painting that is well known, but on an actual rock and in the colors the prehistoric artists would have had. I did this as a commentary on the medium. Would this painting be as esteemed if it was simplified and painted on stone thousands and thousands of years ago by an unknown artist? It is an interesting idea to ponder.

My “cave painting” also serves as a celebration of the medium. Even though cave painting is a prehistoric art form, it is still possible to recreate it today. I did just that. We have been able to see so many different styles of art and painting develop through history, but the creation of a new style or new work of art doesn’t invalidate older works. We can still study, enjoy, and create every form of painting, ancient and modern.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

video

Popular Posts

Flickr Images